hosted by Laverne Diede & Rhonda Fitterer
Chicken Chimichangas with Cheese Sauce
- 2 – 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 10 -12 whole flour tortillas
- 1 whole large onion, diced
- 2 – 4 oz cans of diced green chilies
- 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- Grated salt & pepper to taste
- Deep fryer or enough oil in a pot to deep fry chimichangas
Chicken Filling: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos; sauté for 2 minutes. Add cooked chicken, 1 can green chilies, and paprika; stir together. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir. Add cream and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and get hot. Turn off heat and set aside.
Cheese Sauce: in a separate large skillet, melt butter and sprinkle in flour; whisk together and cook over medium heat for one minute. Pour in a 1 ½ cups chicken broth; whisk until combined and cook for another minute or two. Stir in one can chilies; reduce heat, then stir in sour cream. Add 1 ½ – 2 cups grated cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika; check seasoning; add salt & pepper as needed.
Assembly: Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas, one by one. Top with plenty of cheese and roll up. Deep fry until brown and crispy. (May need to flip over to cook both sides.) Pour cheese mixture over the top. Serve with your choice of fixings; lettuce, salsa, Pico de Gallo, beans, Mexican rice, sour cream or guacamole.
- 1/2 cup salad dressing
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
Mix ingredients until well blended; refrigerate. Serve as a side to chimichangas, enchiladas or as a dip.